Daily Talk Forum
Is a vegetarian diet good for me? - Printable Version

+- Daily Talk Forum (http://www.dailytalkforum.com)
+-- Forum: General Discussions (/forum-general-discussions)
+--- Forum: Health and Fitness (/forum-health-and-fitness)
+--- Thread: Is a vegetarian diet good for me? (/thread-is-a-vegetarian-diet-good-for-me)

Pages: 1 2

Is a vegetarian diet good for me? - Adydsauza - 03-12-2010 10:55 AM

I have been a pure vegetarian since 5 years. I stopped eating any meet or fish even eggs also. I ate vegetarian cheese sometimes. After I have been on this diet, I noticed that my energy levels dropped down significantly.

My diet was very simple: Vegetable, bread, rice, soya, etc. Is there any problem with me ? What should I do to increase my energy level ?

RE: Is a vegetarian diet good for me? - Tulasu - 03-13-2010 12:48 AM

(03-12-2010 10:55 AM)Adydsauza Wrote:  I have been a pure vegetarian since 5 years. I stopped eating any meet or fish even eggs also. I ate vegetarian cheese sometimes. After I have been on this diet, I noticed that my energy levels dropped down significantly.

My diet was very simple: Vegetable, bread, rice, soya, etc. Is there any problem with me ? What should I do to increase my energy level ?
Hi Adydsauza,

It's quite possible you have depleted your reserves of Vitamin B-12 as this vitamin is mostly found in meat.

Try to find a good source that is sublingual, that is to say, one that is a tablet that you place under your tongue so that the vitamin is absorbed through the large veins found there, otherwise you may run into difficulties absorbing the vitamin.

Be sure that it comes with a balance of other B-vitamins as well, as they work as a complex. One B vitamin will not work well without the others. There should be approximately 1000 mcg of B-12, 5 mg B6, 25 mcg of Biotin and 400 mcg Folic Acid.

Hope you can find something similar in your locality as it can be difficult to get a good quality sublingual B-12 supplement. Although I can provide you with a source, it would have to be imported from the US, so may be expensive, but if that interests you, just let me know by PM and I will let you know how to go about getting it.

Tula Smile

RE: Is a vegetarian diet good for me? - samueleric - 03-13-2010 07:09 AM

Above answer is good but i would like to add it is a common misconseption that vegatarians require strict diets to replace 'lost' nutrients. Most manage just fine and remeber meat eaters suffer from deficeincies as well. To make the transition painless just get some fake meat. You'll probably like the taste and it adds that 'missing' element to the plate. And rember vegatarians are not about being healthy we are about being nice to animals and the enviroment and for me personally saving money! You can get meat substitutes everywhere and they can replace meat in a lot of your favourite meals!

RE: Is a vegetarian diet good for me? - Spunner - 03-13-2010 04:30 PM

Red meat - we were meant to eat it!