Daily Talk Forum
Sarah Brightman is touching all the bases right now - Printable Version

+- Daily Talk Forum (http://www.dailytalkforum.com)
+-- Forum: General Discussions (/forum-general-discussions)
+--- Forum: Music (/forum-music)
+--- Thread: Sarah Brightman is touching all the bases right now (/thread-sarah-brightman-is-touching-all-the-bases-right-now)

Sarah Brightman is touching all the bases right now - cyrano - 12-12-2008 09:15 AM

With a new holiday album, a concert tour and release of her debut film, the singer has a lot going on

Gary Graff, Reuters

[Image: Sarah-Brightman02.jpg]

Sarah Brightman says life is "completely crazy at the moment," and with a new holiday album, a tour underway and her debut film role pending, who's going to doubt her?

The British singer, who kicked off a seven-week tour of Canada, Mexico and the United States on Nov. 4, comes to Vancouver's GM Place Friday.

The repertoire will include "lots of new songs" from her January release Symphony and the holiday album A Winter Symphony -- as well as "all the songs that I'm known for, so people will be getting all the old things that they love and all the new as well."

[Image: sarah-brightman-symphony.jpg]

More striking, however, is the technology Brightman will employ on the tour, which includes virtual and holographic stage elements depicting gardens, balloons, aquariums and other ethereal scenery.

"We're basically creating moving 3-D worlds on stage, with me amongst them," Brightman explains.

"It's an experiment for us because it's not really been done on this level before. There's been huge amounts of preparation, and, to tell you the truth, I don't know how it's going to be. At the end of the day music is beautiful, and I know that's really what the audience comes to see. I'm bringing them something new and hoping they get the best out of their evening, really. That's my job."

[Image: sarah-brightman-3.jpg]

Brightman is also looking forward to bringing A Winter Symphony to that audience. "I've always wanted to do a seasonal album for that time of year," she says, and the selection of songs -- including Silent Night; Ave Maria; John Lennon's Happy Christmas (War Is Over); Neil Diamond's I've Been This Way Before; Emerson, Lake & Palmer's I Believe in Father Christmas; and Abba's Arrival -- is meant to evoke the season itself rather than the Christmas holiday.

As for what she's doing making her film debut in Saw filmmaker Darren Lynn Bousman's gory science fiction thriller Repo! The Genetic Opera, Brightman -- who plays a singer named Blind Mag -- says, "That's the more left-field side of me, which is very enjoyable. It's just a very interesting piece. I had a really great moment when I was swimming in rather sickly looking gore at the end, but there's a reason for it. It's not just horror for the sake of horror. There is truly an emotional reason for why I do what I do at the end. I'm not gonna give the game away here, but it's a good moment."

[Image: sarah_brightman_0391-full.jpg]

In a nice twist of synchronicity, Repo! The Genetic Opera is opening in Vancouver on Friday, so if you haven't got tickets to Brightman's sold-out show, you can still catch her on the big screen.