Daily Talk Forum
Younis turns down captaincy for ICC Champions Trophy - Printable Version

+- Daily Talk Forum (http://www.dailytalkforum.com)
+-- Forum: General Discussions (/forum-general-discussions)
+--- Forum: The Grandstand (/forum-the-grandstand)
+--- Thread: Younis turns down captaincy for ICC Champions Trophy (/thread-younis-turns-down-captaincy-for-icc-champions-trophy)

Younis turns down captaincy for ICC Champions Trophy - forwardone - 10-05-2006 09:43 AM

Pakistan cricketer Younis Khan has refused to replace the suspended Inzamam ul-Haq as captain for the ICC Champions Trophy in India later this month.

Just two days before the Pakistan team was due to depart for India in preparation for the biennial one-day tournament, a Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) official said that Younis had announced his decision at a press conference in Lahore.

The in-form batsman was scheduled to hold a full press conference on Saturday but instead he turned up, uttered one sentence and left.

"I will not lead the team," Younis told reporters.

"I don't want to be a dummy captain and the reason why I have refused the captaincy will be revealed afterward."

28-year-old Younis was named as captain after regular skipper Inzamam was suspended by the ICC for four one-day matches for bringing the game into disrepute in the fourth Test debacle at the Oval against England in August.

Saleem Altaf , PCB director of operations, told reporters:

"Younis has not told us any reason and we are in negotiations with him. As soon as we get any details we will reveal them to the media."

Younis has previously captained Pakistan in two Test matches and two one-day internationals, with a 1-1 win/loss record in both forms of the game.

In light of Younis' announcement, the PCB were to hold an emergency briefing in Lahore between chairman Shaharyar Khan and other officials.