Daily Talk Forum
People&Parties - Printable Version

+- Daily Talk Forum (http://www.dailytalkforum.com)
+-- Forum: General Discussions (/forum-general-discussions)
+--- Forum: Arts and Fashion (/forum-arts-and-fashion)
+--- Thread: People&Parties (/thread-people-parties)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

People&Parties - cyrano - 02-03-2008 06:00 AM

[Image: 14m.jpg][Image: 15m.jpg]
Paris Vogue's Carine Roitfeld, in Marc Jacobs. Joy Bryant, in Ralph Lauren

When it comes to its fundraising campaigns, amfAR, the nonprofit AIDS research foundation, means business. Thursday night's Cipriani gala, attended by the likes of Ashley Olsen, Natalia Vodianova, Lauren Bush, and David Lauren, generated $900,000 for the cause—$102,000 from the live auction alone, which featured a trip to Art Basel Miami and a walk-on part in the next Terminator movie. "Come on," cajoled Jamie Niven. "This is your chance to get terminated!" Later, easy-listening patron saint Barry Manilow took the stage to belt out a few of his hits, some of them a cappella. Erin Wasson used the opportunity to sneak outside for a smoke break, but Becca Cason Thrash sat riveted in her seat. "Who can sing like that without backup?" gushed the Houston socialite. "No one. Not even Streisand."
[Image: 16m.jpg]
Rachel Zoe

After presenting Paris Vogue's Carine Roitfeld with an award for her amfAR contributions, Marc Jacobs, whose hair is blue again, headed down to the Tribeca Grand, where the Cinema Society and W magazine were hosting a screening of the Sundance Channel documentary Marc Jacobs & Louis Vuitton. "Some designers can make you look beautiful," said Anne Hathaway, one of the celebs in a crowd that included Heidi Klum, Joy Bryant, Maggie Rizer, and Josh Hartnett. "But Marc makes you feel it, too, in a way you wouldn't expect."
[Image: 46m.jpg]
Loïc Prigent and Marc Jacobs, at the Cinema Society and W magazine screening of the Sundance Channel's Marc Jacobs & Louis Vuitton.

PRESIDENTIAL APPEARANCES - cyrano - 02-04-2008 07:38 AM

[Image: barbarabush.jpg]
Don't expect to see First Daughter Barbara Bush at too many shows this week—much to her disappointment. "I do love a fashion show," Bush, who's showed up at New York events in Chanel, Bill Blass, and Oscar de la Renta in recent months, said at Sari Gueron. "But I'm working during the day and I don't think my office would like it much if I kept popping out for fashion week." Her 9 to 5 didn't apply to Saturday, though, when she popped up in the front row at Sari Gueron and Ruffian. Her favorite looks from the shows: the tops and lace cardigans at Sari Gueron.

Drinks after work - cyrano - 02-05-2008 07:21 AM

Shalom's Got Soul
[Image: 03m.jpg]
Chris Benz, Kristen North, and Chaz Abarno.

Milan fashion week may be a few weeks away yet, but partygoers heeded Italy's siren call Friday night at Vogue Italia and Peroni's fête for 50 Years of Italian Style, a photo exhibit of fashion's bella gente on view in Chelsea through February 4. On hand to support hostess Elettra Rossellini Wiedemann was Shalom Harlow, still coming off her high from working the catwalk for Thursday's Earth Pledge FutureFashion show. Harlow not only looks like the definition of a fashion icon, she can apparently articulate it too: "A woman who knows her own self and isn't afraid to portray the good, the bad, and the ugly of who she is, and bare her soul to the camera as a witness."

Friends in High Places
[Image: 29m.jpg]
Erin Fetherston at the Gramercy Park Hotel for her post-show party.

"There are so many good-looking girls here," said hairstylist Michael Angelo as he surveyed the crowd that had gathered on the rooftop of the Gramercy Park Hotel Friday night for fashion designer Erin Fetherston's after-show party. Indeed, the room was packed with PYTs like Olivia Palermo, Gossip Girl’s Taylor Momsen, and Mamie Gummer. Asked why she thinks all the cool girls in town love her feminine creations, Fetherston demurred, "I think it's the fact that I don't think I'm cool at all." Right. Up next for the designer? "Oh, I'm flying to L.A. on Sunday to shoot a short film for my collection. The last one starred Kirsten Dunst. This time, we're using Zooey Deschanel."

Burnin' Down the House
[Image: 14m.jpg]
Vogue's Valerie Boster with Pearl Lee.

David Neville, co-designer with Marcus Wainwright of Rag & Bone, was ready for a cocktail at the label's after-show party, co-hosted by men.style.com, at the Box on Friday night. "For the last few weeks it's been blood, sweat, and tears," he said. "So I think I'm ready for a different fluid: beer." Neville and his makeup-artist wife, Gucci Westman, had the forethought to warn their babysitter that it might be a late night. And that it was. Even a brief evacuation when the fire alarm went off (apparently a candle in one of the bathrooms had burned too low) didn't put a damper on the evening's up-for-anything party spirit. Said Ally Hilfiger as the curtain went up for the X-rated cabaret show, "A real fire would have been the least weird thing to go down in this place."

Low Blow
[Image: 18m.jpg]
Erin and Chris Wasson

"It's the perfect venue for me," Alexander Wang said during his smoky, sweaty, music-pumping after-show party on Saturday night at the Lower East Side club the Annex. "Sure, it's a little hot, but this could not be more fun. Besides, who doesn't want to bump against these hot bods?" Indeed, all three levels of the venue had dance floors a-bumping with the likes of Noot Seear, Byrdie Bell, Eleanor Ylvisaker, Margherita Missoni, and Nate Lowman. Erin Wasson, Alex's stylist-muse-neighbor-friend, played hostess in one of the more progressive comfort-couture looks we've seen lately: a tank top under an Alexander Wang bustier with baggy paint-splattered sweatpants and killer heels. "This is my version of high-low," she said. "But this is real low: This isn't fashion paint—this is from when I did the walls in my bathroom."

RE: People&Parties - cyrano - 02-07-2008 07:39 AM

Volume Business
[Image: 11m.jpg]
Christian Slater and Tamara Mellon, at the Halston after-show party.

Whoever deejayed the Halston post-show bash at Don Hill's treated partygoers to a decibel level usually reserved for ambulance sirens. We were eager to find out how designer Marco Zanini felt about his debut, but the doo-wop beats of "He's So Fine" drowned out any attempt at communication. Then one of Zanini's backers made herself heard above the din. "Marco was able to keep the Halston DNA and bring it back in a really modern way," said Tamara Mellon. Meanwhile, her actor beau, Christian Slater, surveyed the indestructible downtown nightclub. "I don't remember ever being here," the reformed bad boy said with his crooked grin. "But that doesn't mean I never came."

Joie de Vivre
[Image: 14m.jpg]
In a bid to give the Joie aesthetic a shot of youth serum, the label recruited a quartet of PYTs— Julia Restoin-Roitfeld; her brother, Vladimir; his girlfriend, Lily Donaldson; and all of the above's mutual pal Theodora Richards—to host a little fashion week shindig at the Gramercy Park Hotel. Spotted in the thicket of models and cigarette smoke were Olivier Zahm, Duran Duran's Nick Rhodes, Craig McDean, Anouck Lepère, Victoria Traina, and, of course, the Roitfeld kids' Givenchy-clad mom, Carine.

Double Date
[Image: 33m.jpg]
Chloë Sevigny, at the launch party for the Chloë Sevigny for Opening Ceremony collection.

Officially, Chloë Sevigny's bash at Webster Hall was in celebration of the actress' new line for Opening Ceremony. Unofficially, it was the Proenza Schouler after-show party. "I don't blame them for tagging on to Chloë's party," said Vanity Fair's Elizabeth Saltzman Walker of Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez. "She's supercool, and their ideal customer." So supercool, in fact, that with a little help from seminal all-girl punk band the Slits, she made this pre-millennium concert hall seem almost hip again.