Daily Talk Forum
when is it safe to water after repotting? - Printable Version

+- Daily Talk Forum (http://www.dailytalkforum.com)
+-- Forum: General Discussions (/forum-general-discussions)
+--- Forum: Agriculture, Aquaculture, Gardening and Pets (/forum-agriculture-aquaculture-gardening-and-pets)
+--- Thread: when is it safe to water after repotting? (/thread-when-is-it-safe-to-water-after-repotting)

when is it safe to water after repotting? - passionfruit - 11-13-2006 07:03 PM

i need to repot a cactus but i`m not sure about when i should water again after repotting. is it best to do so straight away or after a while? i`ve read various opinions on this.

- dex - 11-13-2006 07:25 PM

passionfruit, the usual advice is to allow a few days between transplanting a plant and watering it. This allows any roots damaged during the tranfer to heal over and drastically reduces the chances of root and stem rot. Pot size is also important and most succulents do well in slightly cramped settings. Except for those plants which are particularly fast growing or which need large root systems, pots should generally not be more than a few inches larger than the last one.

Also, remember that a 6" pot has almost 3 times the volume of a 4" pot. There are exceptions to this though, and many plant need to have ample root run in order to flourish. These generally include most Euphorbias, caudiciforms, and many of the larger cacti and stapeliads.