Daily Talk Forum
Polyanthus - Printable Version

+- Daily Talk Forum (http://www.dailytalkforum.com)
+-- Forum: General Discussions (/forum-general-discussions)
+--- Forum: Agriculture, Aquaculture, Gardening and Pets (/forum-agriculture-aquaculture-gardening-and-pets)
+--- Thread: Polyanthus (/thread-polyanthus)

Pages: 1 2

Polyanthus - dex - 10-30-2006 06:14 PM

Since Norma, in her introduction of herself to the forum, mentioned that Polyanthus is among her favourites, I thought I`d look it up and post some information on it.

Polyanthuses are not at all appreciated enough, considering the wonderful beauty they present, the rich inlaid colors surpass all other flowers.

Polyanthuses should be seen in shrubberies and borders. Their cultivation is almost as simple as that of meadow grass. They grow vigorously in almost any garden soil, but best in a soil that is somewhat rich and moist; and though they thrive in the full sun, they enjoy best a partially shaded and sheltered position, and are somewhat impatient of heat and drought. When grown for bedding they are, like the Primroses, removed in early summer from the flower garden to the kitchen garden or nursery, and replaced there when the summer bedding plants have passed away.

Where soil is prepared for the better varieties, any good loam with a free addition of sand, well-rotted leaf-mould, and decomposed cow manure will form an excellent compost. The Polyanthus can be easily raised from seed, which should be sown as soon as they can, around the end of June.[Image: polyanthus1.jpg]

- norma - 10-30-2006 06:59 PM

Thank-you for the write up,Dex, I don't remove my plants at all ..I take a chance and have the flowers most of the year! yes,I know that sounds unbelievable,but it's true! the strong ones that stay in our garden thicken up and so I get to split them and fill up the holes that the scaredy-cat ones leave. :wink:
Some people get Polyanthus mixed up with primulas and primroses...the REAL Polys. have a single stem with the blooms all on that one stalk ...whereas primroses etc all flower from the bottom... learn something every day don't we? Big Grin Picked a LOT of leaves from the lawn today from the Catalpa (Indian Bean Tree) my, they are big ones too. Also we have discovered some huge brown toadstools in the borders measuring about 6-8 inches across! we have been removing them for weeks now...where on earth do they come from? anybody know? please don't tell me they are Mushrooms.... Sad

- forwardone - 10-31-2006 02:44 PM

norma Wrote:Also we have discovered some huge brown toadstools in the borders measuring about 6-8 inches across! we have been removing them for weeks now...where on earth do they come from? anybody know? please don't tell me they are Mushrooms.... Sad
Norma, to avoid going off topic too much I thought I`d start a fresh thread on the subject of mushrooms and toadstools here:- Smile

http://www.outdoorlivingsupplies.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=140

- norma - 10-31-2006 04:49 PM

hahaha sorry but once I get going I cannot stop...will try and remember to stick to the topic...Sorry Smile