Daily Talk Forum
Shifty eyes may be a sign of good memory - Printable Version

+- Daily Talk Forum (http://www.dailytalkforum.com)
+-- Forum: General Discussions (/forum-general-discussions)
+--- Forum: Health and Fitness (/forum-health-and-fitness)
+--- Thread: Shifty eyes may be a sign of good memory (/thread-shifty-eyes-may-be-a-sign-of-good-memory--3108)

Shifty eyes may be a sign of good memory - forwardone - 05-06-2007 09:55 AM

Moving your eyes from side to side for 30 seconds can boost your power of recall, researchers say.

Horizontal eye wiggles are thought to cause the two hemispheres of the brain to interact more, improving the ability to retrieve memories.

Scientists at Manchester Metropolitan University found people who made horizontal eye movements recognised significantly more previously studied words than subjects who did not make such eye movements. They also had fewer errors in their recall.
advertisement

Dr Andrew Parker, whose findings are reported in the latest issue of the journal Brain and Cognition, said: "That such a straightforward experimental manipulation can bring about enhanced memory for studied information and lower the number of memory errors is quite exciting."

The work suggests horizontal eye movements could be helping people to remember.

"We are conducting more research to clarify and extend the current findings," Dr Parker said yesterday.

"It may help someone recall an important piece of information for an exam.

Telegraph.co.uk

RE: Shifty eyes may be a sign of good memory - Rixzta - 05-06-2007 02:05 PM

Good Grief Icon_eek.......30 seconds of that makes my brain hurt ! Icon_questionIcon_rolleyes

RE: Shifty eyes may be a sign of good memory - casper - 05-07-2007 05:45 AM

I'm with you on that one Rixzta....just tried that and had the same reaction as you, LOL
Icon_sadIcon_confused

RE: Shifty eyes may be a sign of good memory - Master User - 05-24-2007 08:58 PM

I feel like an idiot doing this LOL.. Still can't remember my wifes middle name!?