Daily Talk Forum
Tourist arrivals rise, especially from Europe - Printable Version

+- Daily Talk Forum (http://www.dailytalkforum.com)
+-- Forum: General Discussions (/forum-general-discussions)
+--- Forum: Travel, Vacations and Holidays (/forum-travel-vacations-and-holidays)
+--- Thread: Tourist arrivals rise, especially from Europe (/thread-tourist-arrivals-rise-especially-from-europe)

Tourist arrivals rise, especially from Europe - Coffee Break - 05-25-2007 04:34 AM

Tourist arrivals rise, especially from Europe

BANGKOK, May 24 (TNA) – The number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand has risen by four per cent during the first four months this year, with most new arrivals coming from Europe, Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Phornsiri Manoharn said Thursday.

About four million foreign tourists visited Thailand between January and April, marking a 4 per cent increase from the corresponding period last year, while a total of 14.8 million international visitors are expected to come throughout this year, bringing in combined revenues of up to Bt547 million, the TAT governor said.

Though increasing numbers of tourists had come from Europe, the number of arrivals from China, Hong Kong and Singapore had dropped, Mrs. Phornsiri said.

However, TAT plans to maintain Thailand as a major attraction for foreign tourists, especially to those from the Middle East, Africa and eastern Europe, during the low or rainy season, which normally lasts for a four-month period, she said.

For that reason, certain provinces which had before now been lesser known to overseas visitors will be promoted as new destinations, such as Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Krabi and Nakhon Si Thammarat, she added.

TNA

RE: Tourist arrivals rise, especially from Europe - toopeekaa 1 - 05-25-2007 05:10 AM

I look at this as a paid political advertisement.....

Here in the North, there has been no increase in tourists..... rather the opposite..... most folks in business here, both Thai and Expat, are in agreement that this is and has been the worst tourist related year in memory.... That, I too am in agreement with....

T1

RE: Tourist arrivals rise, especially from Europe - KoratCat - 05-25-2007 02:01 PM

The number of typical tourists has rather declined . . . I agree there with T1 . . . but the number of visitors examining the place for a possible expat retreat seems to have risen around here. I think this is connected to the easier contact to the women not in the redlight business, who are interested in marriages to farangs and establish contact mainly via the internet now. Many farangs come here now not for touring but "investigating", as harsh as that sounds. It's not relaxing for a while and then back to the old, it's a new orientation.