Daily Talk Forum

Full Version: Manchester United into the Carling Cup final
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sir Alex Ferguson hails 'world-class' Wayne Rooney

Rooney's late winner was his 21st goal of the season

Sir Alex Ferguson hailed Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney as "truly world class" after his late header put United into the Carling Cup final.

Ferguson's side will face Aston Villa at Wembley after beating Manchester City 3-1 to win 4-3 on aggregate, and the Scot was quick to praise Rooney.

"His control, his leading of the line, his penetration was absolutely fantastic," said United boss Ferguson.

"It was a wonderful performance, truly world class."

United trailed Manchester City 2-1 after the first leg at Eastlands but a storming second half at Old Trafford was capped by Rooney's winning goal in injury-time, his 21st of the season in all competitions.

"I know with our deliveries I will get chances and thankfully I took that one in injury time," said Rooney.

The all-Manchester semi-final had been billed as the tie when City would prove their emergence as the new force in the north west, a fact which made victory even sweeter for Ferguson.

"You like to win your derbies," said Ferguson.

"The atmosphere tonight and the fact it was a semi-final tie added a lot of spice to the match.

"We kept our patience, that was important. Once we got into the last third of the field we always looked a threat."

Often the unsung hero, midfielder Darren Fletcher was also singled out by Ferguson for his performance.

"He is incredible, he was all over the place," said the Scot.

"I don't know what he's got inside him but maybe it is two engines. He has matured in terms of his knowledge of the game."

Disappointed City boss Roberto Mancini was gracious in defeat but admitted the game was lost in the short second-half spell when United scored two goals through Paul Scholes and Michael Carrick.

"We played very well in the first half, in the second half there were 10 minutes when we were under pressure - when United scored two goals," said Mancini.

"The rest of the game we played at the same level as United.

"I am sorry for my players and supporters because we have not made the final but this is football and sometimes when you make mistakes, you lose."

Mancini refused to be too downhearted despite the defeat and targeted the club's FA Cup fifth-round tie with Stoke in two weeks time as a way of making amends.

"I can only compliment my players. We have another trophy to aim for and maybe we can win the FA Cup," he said.

"Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor are back with us now and Joleon Lescott is nearly fit.

"With those players I think it is possible for us to get into the top four."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football...484331.stm
Happy to see the Manchester United in to the final with a fine 3-0 midweek victory over West Ham United.It might be difficult for them to get back to the position but I think they get the opportunity to do better once again and they will do.
Only 3 months late... Rolleyes
Reference URL's