Daily Talk Forum

Full Version: Greenland votes on independence
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 615a813e2286266f18816ae67134f4c8-grande.jpg]

Reuters

COPENHAGEN - Greenland can take a big step towards independence today when it votes on self-governance from Denmark but an underdeveloped economy and social problems are hurdles to full sovereignty.

Prime Minister Hans Enoksen told Reuters that a "Yes" would mean that Greenlanders would be recognized as equal to other people under international law and that he hoped the country would achieve independence in his lifetime.

"When that happens, I will raise the flag at our house in Itilleq with happiness and deep-felt gratitude with my grown grandchildren by my side," he told Reuters on Monday through a translator.

The Arctic island has had home rule since 1979 but under the new law it will control its mineral and oil resources and eventually take charge of 32 additional fields of responsibility from Denmark, including justice and legal affairs, as it becomes economically viable to do so.

With a "Yes", Greenlandic will become the official language of the island, but the country will still be part of the Kingdom of Denmark after the new law is adopted on June 21 next year.
Reference URL's