Daily Talk Forum

Full Version: Internet shopping is serious business
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
by NICOLE TAN

WITH the stock markets throughout the world nose-diving, more and more people are turning to small enterprises for survival.

Get on the Internet and you will find many websites offering personalised services and goods. Most of the start-up costs for these services require no more than a fax machine and an apartment to store all the necessary props/computer components. They have low turnover, are easy to start and offer fast results, depending on the product or service.

The most common of all, however, are online shops – where Internet-savvy young adults purchase items from dealers at wholesale prices and offer them to the world at large.

All you need is a camera and the Internet, and you’re in business. With the rising public demand for fast and convenient shopping on the Internet, items sold online nowadays vary from clothes to custom-made accessories, colour contacts, electronic gadgets, and even made-to-order personalised cupcakes for special occasions.

In fact, I’ve decided to jump on the bandwagon myself and now have my own online boutique dealing in ladies apparel and accessories.

After travelling to various countries in Asia and other continents, I have seen many inter-continental trades happen.

These usually involve transferring goods from a country that has low manufacturing costs to a country that’s able to sell the goods at a higher price.

On one of my trips, I met a German guy who travelled extensively until he landed in Thailand. He took a look around and decided to take advantage of the cheap products he could find and posted them online.

Initially, he was selling the items to friends back home but now, two years later, he’s still in Thailand, earning three times what he used to make back in Germany.

So, what does it take to start an online shop?

Believe it or not, the answer is nothing. Depending on how creative or risky you want to be, an Internet shop can be as simple as creating an account at any free hosting site like Blogspot, a few photos of the items intended for sale, a contact number and word of mouth.

From personal experience, maintaining a virtual shop is a thrilling experience. It’s hard work no doubt, as every single thing has to be done single-handledly and customer service can be a drag.

At times, you need to think of new strategies and branding concepts to out-do all the other similar competitors who will undoubtedly pop up. It’s a challenge to your endurance, hard-work and willingness to explore new methods.

There are many opportunities lurking around the net, you can either find them or create them on your own.

Modern technology has allowed passage for many youngsters nowadays to try their hands at entrepreneurship.

Explore and experiment are the keywords, while taking action is the first step to Internet success, which also needs a dare-to-make-a-difference attitude.
Reference URL's