Daily Talk Forum

Full Version: Who`ll Win The Cricketing Ashes Later This Year?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a very strong feeling I know the result of this poll already being in this forum. :lol:

But, since England won it last year, and are still a pretty strong side, there`s a chance they might pull it off again at the back end of 2006. What do you think?

The first Test may be more than six months away, but Australia skipper Ricky Ponting is already looking forward to trying to snatch the Ashes back from England.

Ponting and his team are still smarting from England's memorable 2-1 series win last summer, and the 31-year-old believes the introduction of players such as Mike Hussey will give Australia an edge as they aim to reclaim the famous urn at the earliest opportunity.

"Last summer, our senior players weren't at their best, but we sat down and had a good look at it and found out where the weak links were, and I think we've sorted that out," Ponting told PA Sport ahead of Monday's Laureus World Sport Awards in Barcelona.

"I know the guys are relaxing away from cricket at the moment, but we've had a changeover in personnel, we're playing really well and we're all pretty keen looking forward to the Ashes.

"The anticipation will be great, and I understand they've sold loads of tickets for the Boxing Day clash (at Melbourne Cricket Ground).

"There will be bigger grounds this year, so hopefully the excitement will be even greater."

Australia have found their form since losing the Ashes, with the highlight being a bad-tempered series victory in South Africa.

Australia's promising play with the bat and ball, along with the impact of Hussey - who became the ninth quickest player in history to reach 1,000 Test runs just last month - has made Ponting optimistic ahead of the Ashes.

"Mike Hussey has really been a revelation," added Ponting.

"He's had to wait for his chance, but he adds a real stability to our batting order and his all-round game is very valuable to us. He's a very solid run-scorer.

"I think we're all going to be important at the Ashes, and I think we've all done really well over the last few months.

"Against South Africa, (Proteas captain) Graeme Smith came out and tried to be their statesman and take all of the pressure off his team.

"It didn't really work though because he wasn't good enough to carry the pressure.

"We were tested by South Africa, and found ourselves in some compromising situations, but came through that. I'm confident we're moving in the right direction."

los

I was waiting for this issue to arise, lol, The poms think they have it over us now cos we went to sleep mid tour of England, what they don't realise is we were just tired of winning all the time and wanted to make the comp more interesting , anyone buy that??

Anyway i think poor England may be in for a drubbing, i hope so anyway
Seems to me that you are betting on a situation that was an anomaly in the first place. The re-capturing of the ashes by the English Test side was a glitch in th space time continuum, and I doubt that we will see a repeat of such a phenomenom any time soon.

Pontings Warriors will indeed extract the finger for the next clash.
:lol: Good to see you, Rixzta. I went to one of the matches when they were over here playing the Ashes. It was the match at Old Trafford, which ended in a draw, but of course the better side eventually went on to victory in the final match.

All joking aside it was really good to see the likes of McGrath and Warne along with Brett Lee. Without any question 3 incredible bowlers in a world class side.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's