Daily Talk Forum

Full Version: Football veterans strike a blow in Europe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
By Dave James AFP - 2 hours 44 minutes ago
PARIS (AFP) - Deadly strikers Ronaldo, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Pauleta proved on Sunday that their eye for goal hasn't been dimmed by the passing years.

Brazilian World Cup winner Ronaldo scored twice as AC Milan won their first home league game of the season, a 5-2 demolition of Napoli, while Dutch master van Nistelrooy also gabbed a brace to keep Real Madrid on course for a Spanish title repeat after a 2-0 win at rock-bottom Levante.

Portugal international Pauleta, meanwhile, came off the bench to help breathe new life into Paris Saint Germain's desperate season in a 3-0 win over Lens.

Former Arsenal star Sylvan Wiltord also struck a blow for the continent's dad's army attackers with two goals in Rennes' come-from-behind 3-1 win over Marseille.

Any doubts about whether or not former three-time world player of the year Ronaldo could still be a force were dispelled in just over 45 minutes at the San Siro.

That was the time it took for him to score twice and set up a third.

"We were fantastic, particularly Ronaldo," Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti said of his 31-year-old striker.

"He is a phenomenon and he proved it even though he wasn't in great shape. I'm happy for him, he's suffered a lot."

Despite the win, 12th-placed Milan are still 25 points behind champions and city rivals Inter in the Italian title race.

In Spain, van Nistelrooy scored two late goals as champions Real defeated bottom side Levante 2-0 to re-establish their seven-point lead over Barcelona.

The Dutch striker stole the points with his 10th and 11th goals of the campaign. He put Real ahead on 76 minutes from the penalty spot before adding a second two minutes from time with a clincal right-footed strike.

"What matters to me is that I'm training well and physically fit," said the 31-year-old former Manchester United striker.

"It's essential for a professional. Football is my life."

On Saturday, Barcelona defeated Murcia 4-0 to keep alive their hopes of wresting the title from their bitter rivals.

Portuguese striker Pauleta came off the bench to help fire Paris Saint Germain to their first home French League win of the season.

Pauleta fired the hosts into the lead just under the hour mark when he wrong-footed Lens keeper Vedran Runje with a well-placed shot from just outside the six-yard box.

Marseille are marooned in 12th place, one spot below PSG, after they squandered a 1-0 lead at Rennes.

Djibril Cisse opened the scoring after fifteen minutes but Mickael Pagis levelled seven minutes from half-time.

Marseille were reduced to ten men in the 67th minute when Argentinian import Juan Angel Krupoviesa was red-carded which was just the invitation Wiltord needed to score twice in the 82nd and 87th minutes.
Reference URL's