Daily Talk Forum

Full Version: Business Idea: Deli for Farangs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see them discussing again on some forums:Is opening a Delicatessen shop catering to the needs of farangs a good business idea?

I've seen advances like that many times but hardly anyone succeeded. Now big supermarket like The Mall etc. have more often - and only for limited time - foreign food in their programs. I wonder why only for limited times, why are they not refilling their shelves after all that stuff has gone. Those cans of vegetables and fruits from home at triple prices that give you a nostalgic feeling because you can actually recognize from the package what is in there. Are you actually longing for canned fruits and veggies from home while you can buy much cheaper local fresh fruits and veggies here - the ones you used to buy back home in cans for your guests to show off??

Some guys go crazy for getting pickles again, not knowing how easy it is to make them yourself.

Is there any future in retailing farang food in Thailand?
I think there is but it's a niche market. If you get your marketing research wrong you could be eating a lot of canned peas or sauerkraut ...LOL

I looked into it for Chiang Rai but I thought the market was too small. If you have a small area that has a large percentage of foreigners and you can find a good location then it could be feasible.

My wife can get things like canned jack-fruit from Thailand here in Canada and pays as much for a can as 5 KG fresh in Thailand. Fresh rambutan is around 225Bt here a pound...LOL

There is a market it's just how big is the question. As a small retailer you can't afford to sit on your stock like the big stores can.

PS: I found a canadian food that Thai's like, Maple syrup, they mix it with water and drink it like an energy drink.
Of course there is a market for it. How do you think that Rimping Supermarket in Chiang Mai got so big? They even have a branch in Hang Dong now.

Making pickles myself ? We used to make our own pickles but could never come close to the crunchie Vlassic Dills.
lukamar Wrote:I found a canadian food that Thai's like, Maple syrup, they mix it with water and drink it like an energy drink.

Interesting way to use it.. I am always asked for a few bottles of Maple Syrup when I head back from home and my wife and her family all put a teaspoon or so in their green tea.. they swear by it and my wife's mother works at a bangkok university and now she as the staff their started on it so the orders are for more Maple are getting bigger with each trip haha
Reference URL's