Daily Talk Forum

Full Version: Newell`s sexist comments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Luton have issued a statement describing manager Mike Newell's criticism of assistant referee Amy Rayner as "sexist" and "completely unacceptable'' and have called a board meeting where they will ask Newell to explain his comments.

The Luton board were expected to make a decision on Newell's future tonight after he described the appointment of Rayner to run the line at his side's 3-2 defeat to QPR as "tokenism, for the politically-correct idiots".

However, they will not decide which course of action to take until they have spoken to the former Blackburn striker, who also criticised Luton chairman Bill Tomlins in his post-match press conference.

In a statement on the club's official website, the Luton board said: "The board of directors met today to consider the comments made by the manager, Mike Newell, in the press conference after Saturday's game against QPR.

"The club disassociates itself totally from the sexist comments made by him, we have no place in this club and are completely unacceptable.

"Representatives of the board will be meeting the manager as a matter of urgency to ask him to explain his comments and other criticisms.

"Until this meeting has taken place, the club will make no further comment.''

Earlier in the day, Newell apologised for his outburst against women officials in professional football.

The 41-year-old admitted his comments were "out of order" and revealed he has attempted to speak to Rayner to apologise in person.

Newell told Sky Sports News: "I want to apologise publicly to Amy Rayner and to anyone else I have offended.

"The comments I made were ill-timed and out of order. I wanted to apologise privately before I apologised publicly, but I could not get hold of Amy Rayner.

"I have not spoken to her, but I have left messages and I will continue to try to speak to her."

Newell took over as Luton boss in 2003, and lead them to promotion to the Championship in 2005.

Sky News
Luton Town said on Wednesday they had severely reprimanded manager Mike Newell over sexist comments he made about a lineswoman, but stopped short of sacking him.

Newell's widely reported remarks complaining about lineswoman Amy Rayner and female match officials in general sparked widespread condemnation in the footballing community.

"It is bad enough with the incapable referees and linesmen we have but if you start bringing in women, you have a big problem," he was quoted as saying after his side were denied a penalty in a 3-2 home defeat by Queens Park Rangers in the English second division on Saturday.

He later apologised but the public debate over sexism in British sport has continued.

The club's board, who had already issued a strongly worded statement distancing themselves from his comments, said after meeting Newell on Wednesday that they accepted the manager's public apology but warned him against a repeat performance.

"The board have severely reprimanded Mike Newell for the comments made and have warned him that any repetition of such conduct will not be tolerated," they said in a statement on the club's internet site.

"The manager gave the necessary assurances and apologised for the comments he made and would like to thank the board for its support and understanding on this matter."

Reuters
Reference URL's